Episode #20 is another “Listener Q&A” episode. Meb starts by telling us about his frustration after doing a guest panel on CNBC earlier in the morning. (Hint: questions about The Fed tend to annoy Meb…also, if you ever chat with him in person, do not refer to a 1% market move as a “major” move.) But soon we change gears, and Meb answers questions including:
- When following a trend strategy based on a 100 or 200-day moving average, is the idea to buy/sell on Day 1 of the broken trend? Or is it more nuanced?
- Is there some magic number of days (when following a trend strategy) that is the right length?
- (The above questions dovetail into a conversation about the #1 mistake the majority of investors make when using a trend following approach – expecting it to be a return-enhancing strategy.)
- What are good trend strategies for sideways/chainsaw markets?
- How about combining a momentum strategy with a simple 10-month trend strategy?
- When looking at managed future funds, aside from cost, any thoughts on what might warrant choosing one fund over another?
- (This dovetails into an interesting admonition from Meb in which he suggests listeners should do their own homework on issues like this—after all, if you don’t fully understand a fund’s strategy and have your own reasons for buying it, how will you know whether a 20% drawdown reflects a bad strategy, bad execution, or just bad luck?)
- Can you earn a 10% CAGR with Dalio’s All Weather portfolio without fear of a major drawdown?
- (This dovetails into a question about asset allocation – does it really dominate long-term returns? A listener thought he heard a difference of opinion between Meb and a guest on a past episode.)
There are more questions, including one hand-written and mailed to Meb by a college student. He wants to know what qualities, skills, and abilities Meb looks for in new hires at Cambria, as well as what unique skills a college grad should bring to his/her employer. What’s Meb’s answer? Find out in Episode 20.
In this special episode, our returning guest is Gary Zimmerman, founder of MaxMyInterest, a cash management platform that helps you maximize the return on your cash. Given the recent …
Today we’re joined AcreTrader’s Carter Malloy, who’s back for his third appearance on the show, and Mark Foley, who joined AcreTrader a little over …
Today’s returning guest is Jason Calacanis, famed Angel investor and podcast host of the All-In Podcast and This Week in Startups.
In today’s episode, Jason shares why he’s more …
In today’s episode, Meb Faber, Cambria Chief Investment Officer, reads a profile of Cambria's shareholder yield ETFs:
Today’s guest is Kate Moore, BlackRock’s Head of Thematic Strategy and a member of BlackRock’s Global Allocation investment team.
In today’s episode, Kate shares her framework for looking …
Today’s guests are Leigh Drogen, CIO of Starkiller Capital, which applies quantitative strategies to the blockchain based digital asset space, and Corey Hoffstein, co-founder of and CIO at …
You can listen to episodes right here on the website, or if you prefer, in a podcast app. Listening in an app makes it easier to keep track of what you’ve already heard, listen without using your data plan and many other conveniences.